Caldwell past, present and round about.

On the South Derbyshire web site, you find
'Cauldwell - also spelt Caldwell. A small hamlet, remotely situated in hilly country to the south of Burton. Cauldwell Hall, a red-brick Georgian mansion stands on the site of a former monastic grange (now a school and not open to the public). Adjacent to the Hall is the ancient church of St. Giles, which probably dates from the 8th century, although many of the original features were lost during restoration work carried out in 1865. However, 3 Saxon windows and the exterior masonry bear witness to the real age of the building.
Badger Wood is a recent addition to the National Forest with over 2 miles of pathways for walkers (boots needed). Population in 1991 was 124.'

Before about 1900 there were 327 parishes in Derbyshire, each with its own church and Parish Registers. A few have now disappeared, boundaries have been changed and some have crossed to neighbouring counties. The parish of Caldwell belonged to the Repton and Gresley Hundred. Derbyshire is divided into 6 Wapentakes or Hundreds. High Peak (79 parishes), Appletree (63 parishes), Repton and Gresley (43 parishes), Scarsdale (55 parishes), Wirksworth (37 parishes), Morleyston and Litchurch (50 parishes).

In 1811 Caldwell was describes as 'Caldewelle hamlet, parish of Stapenhill in the Deanery of Repington.'

On 1st July 1837, the civil Registration District of Burton upon Trent was created. It was mainly in Staffordshire, but did include parts of Derbyshire.
The sub-districts were Burton upon Trent, Gresley, Repton and Tutbury.
Ref GRO volumes XVII (1837-51) & 6b (1852-1930)
It consisted of the Parishes of Ash, Barton Blount, Bearwardcote, Bretby, Burnaston, Caldwell, Castle Gresley, Catton, Church Broughton, Church Gresley, Coton in the Elms, Dalbury Lees, Drakelow, Egginton, Erwall, Findern, Foremark, Foston, Hargate Manor, Hatton, Hilton, Hoon, Ingleby, Linton, Lullington, Marston upon Dove, Mickleover, Newton Solney, Osleston and Thurvaston, Radbourne, Repton, Rollesten (1837-1903), Rosliston, Stanton and Newhall, Stapenhill (1837-94), Sutton on the Hill, Swadlincote, Trusley, Twyford and Stenson, Walton upon Trent, Willington, Winshill (1837-94).
These same districts existed until 31st March 1930, and were used to compile the census returns for 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891.
Visit Blanche Charles' Caldwell research page with - amongst other things - transcripts of PARISH registers, land tax records and full census transcripts for the village. Blanche's Norton family website includes a history of the Caldwell General Baptist church which was established by her 4 x great-grandfather, Joseph Norton.

Back to the Home Page